Frontier Airlines is an ultra-low-cost U.S. airline that offers “Low Fares Done Right”. The airlines business model is designed to allow more people to travel more often to more places. Frontier Airlines is headquartered in Denver, Colorado and serves more than 80 destinations in the United States, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. Frontier isn’t an official member of any of the airline alliances, but it does allow its travelers to earn and use miles with several hotels, car rental companies and other non-aviation partners.
- Year Founded: 1994
- CEO: Barry L. Biffle
- Airline Type: Ultra-low-fare U.S carrier
- Headquarters: Denver, Colorado
- Size: Eight largest U.S. airline by passengers carried
- Hub: Denver
- Number of Employees (2018): 3,000
- Destinations served: 80+
- Passenger enplanement (2017): 16 million
Frontier Airlines operates a fleet consisting mainly of Airbus aircraft. The airline primarily uses the Airbus A320neo and Airbus A321neo models. These aircraft are known for their fuel efficiency and modern amenities. Frontier Airlines is gradually phasing out its older Airbus A319 and A320 models in favor of the more advanced A320neo and A321neo aircraft.
The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) represents the flight attendants who work for Frontier Airlines. Frontier flight attendants overwhelmingly voted to unionize and join AFA on May 21, 2010. The flight attendants ratified their first contract with Frontier in 2011. The contract included a variety of job security protections, including a comprehensive discipline and grievance process to ensure the fair treatment of flight attendants. It also ensured that flight attendants would participate in the success of the company through, among other things, equity participation and a profit sharing program.
The union and Frontier are currently in negotiations for a new labor contract. Negotiations began in November 2015, and continue with the oversight of the National Mediation Board. In these negotiations, the union is seeking recognition for flight attendants’ role in the company’s considerable growth and success in the form of better wages and greater participation in the company’s profits.
Frontier Airlines Flight Attendant Pay [ Updated 2022 ]
Frontier Flight Attendant starting pay is $24.51 paid for hours flown plus Credit Time per Bid Period. The top rate of $57.67 is received after 19 years of service. Hawaiian Airlines is the only other major airline that has a pay scale for flight attendants where the top rate is reached after 19 years. It is important to note that Hawaiian Airlines has a different type of flying compared to Frontier.
Frontier Flight Attendants current hourly pay rates are indicated below in the DOR+2 column. Frontier Flight Attendants hourly rate is paid for hours flown plus Credit Time per Bid Period. Flight Attendants will be paid and credited actual or scheduled Block Time, whichever is greater, for segments flown. Flight Attendants will be paid at their hourly rate for total Bid Period Credit hours up to 82 hours. The next contractual pay raise indicated in the DOR+3 column will be reflected in June 5th 2022 paychecks.
Paid Time and a Half for Hours Above 82
Frontier Flight Attendants will be paid one and a half (1.5) times the hourly rate for total Bid Period block and Credit Hours over eighty-two hours (82:00) in accordance with their Agreement. Unless otherwise specified in their Agreement, only Credit earned while on a Trip or credit earned in conjunction with pay protection, available to assign or “not legal” for a Trip, will count towards this calculation.
Frontier Flight Attendants 401(K)
- Flight Attendants shall be eligible to participate in the Company’s 401(k) Plan upon employment by the Company.
- The Company will match at 100% up to the first 6% of each Flight Attendant’s 401(k) deferral of Eligible Compensation for each pay period, subject to all regulatory limitations.
- Company matching contributions for Flight Attendants begin after one (1) year of employment and vest twenty five percent (25%) per year at the start of years two (2) through five (5).
- A Flight Attendant may contribute up to the maximum deduction as provided for by law. Salary deferrals and Company contributions will be deposited no later than the tenth business day following each pay period.
- The Company shall provide the Union copies of all documents pertaining to the 401(k) Plan, including but not limited to the annual report, form 5500, with all schedules, copies of all amendments and any restated 401(k) plan documents.
Source: 401(K) information provided above was taken from the May 15, 2019 – May 15, 2024 AFA Contract for Frontier Flight Attendants.
Frontier Airlines Flight Attendant Minimum Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 20 years old when applying
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- A valid passport with at least 6 months validity from hire date
- Willingness to relocate: Frontier bases are Denver, CO; Las Vegas, NV; Orlando, FL; Chicago IL & the Trenton/Philadelphia area.
- Tattoos cannot exist in these areas: Shoulders to fingertips, neck or chest areas, behind ears, mid thigh to toes (women).
No multiple piercings.
- Must be able to fasten a four point jump seat harness without the use of extension devices
To learn more about becoming a flight attendant at Frontier Airlines go here.