Spirit Airlines is the seventh largest airline in the U.S. by passengers carried. It is an ultra-low-cost carrier that takes cost mitigation very, very seriously. Spirit tries to offer the very lowest ticket prices to every destination it serves. Spirit Airlines offers 400 flights every day to 60 destinations in the United States, the Caribbean and Latin America. The airline is not a member of any airline alliances and has no partner airlines, but travelers can earn and use Free Spirit miles with a variety of Spirit’s non-aviation partners. Spirit Airlines isn’t incredibly highly rated by staff, however, the young airline is lauded by its employees for its great flight benefits. Spirit has the youngest fleet of any major U.S airline.
- Year Founded: 1993
- CEO: Robert Fornaro
- Airline Type: Ultra-low-fare carrier
- Headquarters: Miramar, Florida
- Size: Seventh largestS. airline based on passengers carried
- Hub: Fort Lauderdale
- Number of Employees (2017): 7,000
- Destinations served: 60
- Passenger enplanement (2017): 24 million
- Airbus A319
- Airbus A320
- Airbus A321
Spirit Airlines Flight Attendant Bases 
Spirit Airlines Flight Attendants are represented by the Association of Flight Attendants. Using the power of collective bargaining, the AFA has been able to improve the pay, benefits and work rules for the flight attendants at Spirit.
Spirit Flight Attendant rates of pay for each year of service.is provided in the pay scale below. Spirit Flight Attendants currently receive the hourly rates as indicated in the DOS+4 column. Starting pay is $21.04 for the first six months of employment then $22.99 for the next six. The top pay per hour is $51.13 after 15 years of service. Additional pay components can be found in the 2016-2021 Spirit Flight Attendant Contract.
Spirit Flight Attendant Monthly Guarantee
Each Flight Attendant shall be paid the equivalent of seventy-two (72) credited hours per bid period, which shall constitute a bid period guarantee, unless the Flight Attendant voluntarily reduces his or her schedule.
In the event a Flight Attendant is on non-pay status (i.e., unpaid leave of absence) for a portion of the month, he or she shall be paid and credited flight pay at the applicable rate for each day on pay status or pro-rated minimum guarantee, whichever is greater.
Spirit Flight Attendant Per Diem
When a Spirit Flight Attendant is away from his or her base, he or she shall receive $2.20 per hour or fraction thereof beginning at check-in time and ending at release time.
Spirit Flight Attendant Payroll
Pay periods for Flight Attendants will be the 1st through the 15th and the 16th through month-end.
The 1st through the 15th pay period will be paid on the 15th. This check will include one-half (1/2) the Flight Attendant’s minimum guarantee from the current bid period plus the per diem, overtime, junior assignment pay and all other amounts above guarantee due from the prior bid period.
The 16th through the month-end pay period will be paid on the last day of the month. This check will include one-half (1/2) of the Flight Attendant’s minimum guarantee from the current bid period.
Spirit Flight Attendant Requirements:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be at least 5’0 (without shoes).
- Must be able to lift 50lbs from floor to shoulder level, ability to reach aircraft overhead bins and storage areas.
- Must have valid passports/documents with the ability to travel in and out of the USA and to all cities/countries served by Spirit Airlines.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- At least 2 years of experience in the Guest Service, Hospitality and/or Sales/Merchandising industry.
- Must be dependable, energetic, outgoing, a team player, and demonstrate leadership and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible and willing to relocate to a base assignment at your own expense in any current or future crew bases.
- Required to attend and successfully complete a 4-week Initial Flight Attendant training held in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Ability to work flexible hours, days and holidays.
- Ability to work in close quarters with service animals as well as all snack items, including but not limited to peanuts.
- Ability to communicate effectively. Must be proficient in the English language; bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Must maintain a polished, professional and conservative appearance at all times.
- High School Diploma or GED required, College degree preferred.
- Driver’s license is preferred.
To learn more about becoming a flight attendant at Spirit Airlines go here.